Monday, March 11, 2013

How to Set Goals-Using SMART Technique


            Reading nutrition articles and/or blogs from different people you will pick up on the strong emphasis on goals.  Goal setting is very important because it holds you accountable and helps you keep track of your progress in a timely fashion.  However, simply setting a goal that is to broad or inconceivable does you no good.  In the next paragraph you will see how to set a goal the right way.
            Use the word SMART.  This acronym has been taught to me by several of my college professors, and I have used it for myself because it is very helpful.  The first letter stands for SPECIFIC.  You can’t set too broad of a goal or you will never reach it.  Example, I am going to start to live a more active lifestyle.  That is a great goal but it isn’t specific at all.  The word more can mean almost anything.  To make it more specific you would have to say something like, I am going to do physical activity at least 30 minutes everyday. 
            The next word is MEASURABLE.  Your goal must be measurable in someway or else it will be impossible to track your results.  Either by the use of a scale, time, body fat measures, or whatever you want it just has to be measureable. 
            Your goal also has to be ACHIEVABLE.  Make the goal most important to you.  Develop ways you can accomplish your goal.  If it is to exercise more, how are you going to do that?  Are you going to prepare food on Sundays for the week?  This is where you really layout a roadmap for success. 
            Make sure you are being REALISTIC.  This one means not to set a goal that you know you will not be able to accomplish.  For example, I want to lose 50 pounds in a month.  I wouldn’t recommend this anyway, but the problem is if you set a goal too high and you fail it is really going to be a hindrance to what you are trying to accomplish.  Try instead; I am going to lose 1-2lbs a week. 
            Timely.  You have to consider time or else you will be trying to accomplish the same goal for years and years without any results.  Put a realistic time frame on your goal to hold yourself accountable.  If you are not seeing results by the time frame you set your goal then maybe it is time to try something different.  The worst mistake someone can make is repeated the same routine over and over with no results. 
            Here is an example of a goal that I am setting for myself.  I want to increase my back squat by 50 lbs from where it is now by April 27, 2013.  I am going to achieve this goal by lifting legs twice a week and eating high protein meals.  
Chalk drawing of SMART Goals acronym for Specific,Measurable,Achievable,Realistic and Timely on a blackboard Stock Photo - 14080319